Application Update...

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Easy

Application Update...

Post by Easy »

When I open ZunTzu I get a popup telling me there is a new version. However, it doesn't indicate what changes were made or if it's a stable build. Is there a change log somewhere?
PetersonR

Re: Application Update...

Post by PetersonR »

Easy wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 19:15 When I open ZunTzu I get a popup telling me there is a new version. However, it doesn't indicate what changes were made or if it's a stable build. Is there a change log somewhere?
I noticed the same thing . . . I did download the update and seems stable for both older computers and newer 64K computers. I checked on both my computers (32K & 64K).

When looking around the new version (3.17 aka 1.3), it works the same but fixes certain issues - like opening a ZTB by double clicking on a file! Although I have not fully tested "Browse Library" button - - but it seems stable?

This version also seems to have changed the 'help-file' when a game (ZTB) is loaded. It is more comprehensive than ZT version 1.2.
See: (load any ZTB) then select "Menu," the select "?" and finally select "Help." This procedure will bring up the newest list of gaming commands! Take a look!

Hey, for me this version 1.3 (3.17?) is superior to ZT 1.2 version. If you have a newer 64K machine give it a whirl - - looks good to me :)

Oh, forgot to say, that I did try a download from the https://zuntzu.com/files.htm section that says "1.2" but it automatically downloads 1.3 (3.17?) version.

Can anyone answer in the 'official' ZT world?

- RPeterson
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Hi!
The 1.3 release fixes network connection issues, and file association.
A 1.4 release is in preparation - to be released soon - which will be a 64 bits port.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

which will be a 64 bits port
Wow - does that mean what I hope it means - that we will at last be able to address more than 2 gbs of graphics assets?

Regards, Bill.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Yes.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

The new 64 bits beta is available here.
Note that 64 bits users will NOT be able to join games hosted by 32 bits users, and vice versa. However, game files are fully compatible between versions.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Wow! Well that was a lot sooner than I expected - bravo!

I downloaded it and it seems to work perfectly.

That said, it does seem a little more sensitive with jpegs - a couple of my gameboxes loaded some graphics files with the wrong colours (blue swapped with brown mostly), but a little tinkering (converting them to .tiffs and back to .jpegs) fixed that.

I'm also very pleased that it now loads with "best quality graphics" set by default.

Of course, the real big deal is that you can now build gameboxes that address more than 2gbs of RAM - so I did a quick test:

I chose one of the largest gameboxes I've built so far (Fire in the East) which has a 300dpi map that takes up 852.67MB, and 1200dpi counters which (together with masks) need almost 1.2GB. I then ran my own little program that "clones" .zts/.ztgs and set it to iterate 6 times on a saved game file, then I fired it up with ZT 1.4 - it loaded first time, no problem at all. Earlier versions of ZT would simply crash.

Now obviously very few people will attempt (or want) to play six simultaneous games of a monster like Fire in the East, but the very fact that it is now possible means that there is no longer any reason at all for compromising on graphics quality, or indeed, quantity.

Going forward, expect some very big, elaborate, high resolution gameboxes from me at least ;-)

This is a very big day for ZunTzu - hats off and three cheers to you Jerome - you've surpassed yourself.

Regards, Bill.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Thanks for the nice words, Bill.
I appreciate the effort and time you put into your monster test. Fantastic! :D

I am interested in your old (problematic) JPEG files. I guess they used an exotic color space.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Two files here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/lqsf5zk7 ... 9.ztb/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/g3swskig ... 9.ztb/file

The first crashes ZT1.3 on loading, but works fine with ZT1.4; the second works fine on ZT1.3, but the colours are wrong with ZT1.4.

Please also note that these are not finished gameboxes, just demos ;-)

Regards, Bill
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

After some further investigation, I realised that the original map file was saved from Adobe Photoshop with Adobe RGB colour settings.

When I loaded it in Irfanview, I saw that the Exif ColorSpace settings were: Uncalibrated/Unknown (-1), so I unticked the Save Exif settings in Irfanview's JPEG Save dialog box and overwrote it (at 75% quality).

Voila! The resultant file now loads (without problems) in all versions of ZT:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2fbvbxpm ... s.ztb/file

Only you, Jerome, can tell us why that might be ;-)
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Thanks for reporting the result of your tests, Bill.
So the problem was indeed caused by an exotic color space. I upgraded ZunTzu to the latest version of the JPEG library. That must have broken support for some exotic color spaces, such as Adobe RGB.
gcallari

Post by gcallari »

Hi Jerome,

Just for the record, I get a crash on start (see attachment in italian) using 1.4 beta on Windows 11 (version 21H2) on a virtual machine on a Mac (I know, a very peculiar setting). 1.3 works fine, apart from an error on sound card drivers which is understandable and not blocking. I sent the error report (and added it below, it shows an Access Violation Exception as you can see) and looked at the event viewer but there is no error registered, is there any other place I can look for a log?

Thanks!

version 1.4.0.36
os Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
framework 2.0.50727.9164
cpu count 2
System.AccessViolationException: Tentativo di lettura o scrittura della memoria protetta. Spesso questa condizione indica che altre parti della memoria sono danneggiate.
in A.a.A(Byte* , Int32 )
in B.l.A(Stream )
in C.v.a()
in C.v..ctor(Form , W )
in b.t..ctor(Form , W , String , String , Guid )
in A.A.A(String[] )
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-12-25 alle 11.47.44.png
Screenshot 2022-12-25 alle 11.47.44.png (50.28 KiB) Viewed 3851 times
======
Gabriele