Gettysburg campaign - VaeVictis #8

Discuss game box design and sharing.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Epaminonda

Gettysburg campaign - VaeVictis #8

Post by Epaminonda »

I own a copy of this game, which uses point to point map system with a good ruleset and as soon I will work out, how to create the relative Gamebox, I will surely do it.
However have to query for permission yet. As I see there are several Gameboxes relative to VaeVictis games, I guess it should not be a problem (could it be?).
A technical issue could be the scan of the map. I already have one but not in color and I'm not sure if I will find a service around where I live.
So, if there is someone else who is interested in this game and has the chance to produce a color version of this game, let me know it.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Hi Epaminonda!

You should post a message in these french wargaming forums: Strategikon, L'Estafette

Regarding the permission, you should send a mail to Nicolas Stratigos at VaeVictis magazine. Issue 8 is out-of-print anyway so he will probably agree.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Epaminonda

Post by Epaminonda »

Jerome wrote:Hi Epaminonda!

You should post a message in these french wargaming forums: Strategikon, L'Estafette

Regarding the permission, you should send a mail to Nicolas Stratigos at VaeVictis magazine. Issue 8 is out-of-print anyway so he will probably agree.
Hi Jerome,

I already contacted Nicolas Stratigos and kindly he gave me the permission to do the ZunTzu module for that game. I got stucked on the scanning process and postponed it when I will have enough spare time, hopefully soon.

Unfortunately, I don't speak French and it seems those forums are only in French (just Italian and English and found the English translation of that game, in the grognard website).

However thanks for signaling them.

Giorgio
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Epaminonda wrote:Unfortunately, I don't speak French and it seems those forums are only in French
Just post in English. It has been done before and no one has minded. Those forums are run by polite sensible grown-ups. ;-)
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Pokke

Re: Gettysburg campaign - VaeVictis #8

Post by Pokke »

Epaminonda wrote: A technical issue could be the scan of the map. I already have one but not in color and I'm not sure if I will find a service around where I live.
So, if there is someone else who is interested in this game and has the chance to produce a color version of this game, let me know it.
Are you still working on this one, Epaminonda?
I once converted it for Cyberboard, I probably still have all the files.
Now, it ust be a piece of cake to turn in into a ZunTzu module so let me know if you're interested.
Otherwise I'll do it myself.
Epaminonda

Post by Epaminonda »

Pokke wrote:
Epaminonda wrote: A technical issue could be the scan of the map. I already have one but not in color and I'm not sure if I will find a service around where I live.
Are you still working on this one, Epaminonda?
I once converted it for Cyberboard, I probably still have all the files.
Now, it ust be a piece of cake to turn in into a ZunTzu module so let me know if you're interested.
Otherwise I'll do it myself.
I've to confess although I wanted to do it, I haven't found a copy service for the map scan and got lost in the meanwhile till now. However, if this is fine with you, I would like to try at it again as soon as you can send me your files. Otherwise, if you wish to do it, I will look forward to play it.

Thanks
Pokke

Post by Pokke »

Thanks to Jerome's brilliant method to import a huge amount of counters this conversion should really be very easy to do. I do clearly remember the days when I had to import each and every counter in several sizes... :)

I'm at work now but will check later this evening if I can find the scanned files in my backups.
If not, I still have the original map and counters from VV and will scan it in again for you.

Pokke
Pokke

Post by Pokke »

I found it. All is still here, except for the backside of the counters, for which I only scanned the few that I needed for the Cyberboard module.
If you want to have the files, let me know (and where to send em to)

And now I realise something, it's that game with "concealed" units. I haven't figured out how this "hidden board" thing works. Do you need to provide 3 counters then? One for the main map, which all can see. And one for each player's hidden board?

Or is it better to wait for the block game implementation in ZunTzu instead of wasting energy on this one?
Epaminonda

Post by Epaminonda »

Hi Pokke,

I knew there were some issues with concealed units, but I haven't yet investigated the problem. However, I'm willing to have a go at it anyway. If not other, it will be a good opportunity to learn the ZunTzu processes.
My email is:
giorgio.clavelliATgmail.com

Thanks
Pokke

Post by Pokke »

I mailed it through YouSendIt. I did cut the real counters apparently (sorry, could not remember that I did this and where I stored them) and now noticed that I only scanned the backside of those that I needed for Cyberboard. So you probably have a bit of puzzling to do first...

Let me know if you need more.
Epaminonda

Post by Epaminonda »

Thanks Pokke,

Just downloaded it. Tomorrow, when finally school holidays are gone and I will gain enough spare time from the kids, I will start to work on it. I will keep you updated on my progresses and I look forward to play it with you too.
:D
Epaminonda

Post by Epaminonda »

I finally started to work on the VaeVictis's Gettysburg game-box. When early today I realized how error prone it is editing game-box xml file, I went to search ZunTzu forum to see if there was some suggestions about good XML editors. Those I tried to use, were not very useful, beside highlighting the markup, without a schema or dtd to refer to.
Searching in the forum I just found out that Jerome is actually already working on a promising tool, "ZunTzu Designer" and I'm looking forward to it.
Jerome, can you say when a beta will be around? I will be very happy to test it with this game-box. In the meanwhile I guess will have to stick with a more simple text editor (like the good Notepad++).

BTW, I see the countersheet has a resolution of 75 ppi (in my understanding ppi and dpi are nearly the same thing, in the context of ZT requirements. Am I right?). So, I will use this resolution as dpi and see how it works out and eventually will try to set dpi either to 150 or other value, in case I can't convert directly ppi to dpi.

Thanks again for your files
Giorgio