How do you create a "dummy" scenario for first tim

Discuss game box design and sharing.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Lebatron

How do you create a "dummy" scenario for first tim

Post by Lebatron »

I've been following the support guide to the T and yet my game box will not load. I suspect my problem lies in my understanding of the last past of the guide "How to add scenarios." At first I was adding the sample text into my game-box.xml file with changes of coarse. But then I think it was meant to be placed into its own file. It does not tell you this but I assumed that you use this sample text to create another .txt file then when done call it "start.zts" for instance. Is this even close to what must be done to get the game up and running the first time so that I can create an actual save?

This is what my start.zts file contains without the xxxxxxx's of coarse. So is this what the initial dummy save is supposed to look like?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<game
game-box="xxxxx"
scenario-name="xxxxxxxxx"
scenario-description="xxxxxxxx"
scenario-copyright="xxxxxxxxxxx">
<layout board="Map1" />

</game>
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Yes, the scenario file (.zts) has to be separate from the game-box.xml file and yours looks like it should work (once you replace the "xxxx"s with the correct code of course).
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Thanks. I managed to get things working after reading the forum for a long time. After I placed the above code in its own file I was still getting an error which was "Error of type f: File "game-box.xml" not found in archive." For a while I tried everything to find where my code was wrong. The problem was not my code. It was windows built in zipper. It was creating a file within a file causing the program to miss where the files really are.

To prevent others from having the same frustration I would advise that the suggestion to use windows built in zipper in the tutorial be removed and an explanation added to tell people why. It would also be wise to inform them that this issue does happen using Winrar too. After switching to that program to zip I still got a folder within a folder. To solve that problem it took some experimenting. Do not right click on your folder of the game files and select add to archive or any of the other choices. These will all do the same thing windows built in zipper did. Instead go inside the folder and manually select all the files you want to zip, then use Winrar. At this point right clicking to bring up the shortcuts should work. If you are using Winrar select archive in zip rather than rar format.

Hopefully someone here heeds my advice and explains this issue in detail in both the tutorial and here on the forum within a sticky thread full of useful tips to get started.