made a gamebox for "King's Breakfast" cardgame

Discuss game box design and sharing.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Gorilla Daddy

made a gamebox for "King's Breakfast" cardgame

Post by Gorilla Daddy »

Hi, ZunTzu is the greatest thing ever. Thanks Jerome! I stayed up last night, and made a gamebox for this family cardgame:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6263

I made the gamebox from a single photograph of the components. I used an alpha-channel mask to handle the irregular placement of the cards. The end result is very pleasing to look at, and perhaps more realistic than had I perfectly aligned the cards on a scanner.

The "supply" variable was perfect for building a virtual deck using the user-interface, which once stacked, I placed on the gaming table & saved.

I do have some questions for Jerome as to why counters are written differently than cards. It feels asymmetric, as if they should be the same thing internally & during gamebox creation. I can see that stacks of cards are handled differently during play (no stack expansion on mouseover/hover ... unless a card is faceup on the stack); is that the only difference?

I'd like to play some with ZunTzu, and try it out online (voice quality, responsiveness of gameplay, etc). Ideally with a group of 3 or more players. I wanted to build a game that wasn't heavy (and one I hadn't played before), so we could play more with ZunTzu than with the game. :)

If you'd like to play with me, please send me a message. We'll schedule a time for everyone to meetup online, and I'll send out a link to the gamebox (via email) for everyone to download before the gameplay.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Gorilla Daddy wrote:Hi, ZunTzu is the greatest thing ever.
Thanks! :D
Gorilla Daddy wrote:I used an alpha-channel mask to handle the irregular placement of the cards. The end result is very pleasing to look at, and perhaps more realistic than had I perfectly aligned the cards on a scanner.
Alpha-channel mask? You're officially a master game box designer!
I've seen a game box made out of photographs. I was quite impressed by the result.
Gorilla Daddy wrote:I do have some questions for Jerome as to why counters are written differently than cards. It feels asymmetric, as if they should be the same thing internally & during gamebox creation. I can see that stacks of cards are handled differently during play (no stack expansion on mouseover/hover ... unless a card is faceup on the stack); is that the only difference?
I need to update the documentation with a good description of how to use playing cards.

The playing cards have these properties:
  • Cards share the same back so it's impossible to tell one from another when face down.
  • Cards don't stack with counters and are always displayed beneath counters. This is an interesting property for game box designers who would want to build terrains out of cards (real terrains will be available with v1.2).
  • Card desks are more compact than counter stacks. It is more difficult to figure out how many cards are in a deck from the thickness of the deck only (it's on purpose).
  • A user can inspect the content of a deck by moving his mouse cursor over the deck, just like for counter stacks. However a deck spreads in a different way because the way counter stacks spread wouldn't have been practical in case of decks containing more than ten cards.
  • If all cards of a deck are flipped face down then the deck can no longer be inspected. Typically such a deck would be used as a draw pile. Cards can be selected and moved just like counters. In case of a all-faces-down deck it can be very difficult to select anything else than the topmost card. As a consequence those all-faces-down decks can't be moved without first flipping the topmost card (which makes the deck inspectable again).
Gorilla Daddy wrote:I'd like to play some with ZunTzu, and try it out online (voice quality, responsiveness of gameplay, etc). Ideally with a group of 3 or more players. I wanted to build a game that wasn't heavy (and one I hadn't played before), so we could play more with ZunTzu than with the game. :)
If you'd like to play with me, please send me a message. We'll schedule a time for everyone to meetup online, and I'll send out a link to the gamebox (via email) for everyone to download before the gameplay.
I don't know the game, but I'd be interested in participating, or at least to make sure that everyone is able to connect (firewalls can get in the way sometimes).
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
spearjr

Re: made a gamebox for "King's Breakfast" cardgame

Post by spearjr »

King's Breakfast is a fun little game. I'd be interested in trying it out with you.