Gameboxes

Discuss game box design and sharing.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

steve_lampon

Gameboxes

Post by steve_lampon »

:D
This is a very neat looking piece of software, I would like to adapt one of my La Bataille cyberboard gameboxes to work with it.

I have some questions, can the gamebox have more than one sheet of counters - La Bataille needs lots of information counters as well as the unit counters.

Is it possible to create a random draw cup for activation chits?

Does the gamebox have to be complete before you can upload and test it?, I have created an xml file, a map and one sheet of counters and the necessary code for dice etc. I have zipped it all together and changed the file extension to .ztb, I get an error message-

Error of type XMLExtension: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.

Many thanks
Steve
Jerome
Site Admin

Re: Gameboxes

Post by Jerome »

Welcome Steve!
steve_lampon wrote:can the gamebox have more than one sheet of counters
Yes.
steve_lampon wrote:Is it possible to create a random draw cup for activation chits?
Yes, Iéna 1806 uses that same game mechanism. See the last paragraph of the "how to get started with ZunTzu" article in the "support" section.
steve_lampon wrote:Does the gamebox have to be complete before you can upload and test it?
No it doesn't (as long as the game box is valid). For instance you can start with a simple game box containing just a board, and then add counter sheets one by one.
The error you're getting indicates that there is a problem in the first line of your "game-box.xml" file or the first line of your startup scenario file.

By the way the content of the scenario file must be consistent with the content of the "game-box.xml" file (for instance you shouldn't make a reference to a counter sheet that doesn't exist yet).

Keep me informed of your progress. :wink:
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
peabody

Post by peabody »

I just downloaded your program recently and like it very much. I started trying to make a gamebox today and hope to have it done soon.

james
Jerome
Site Admin

Re: newbie

Post by Jerome »

peabody wrote:I just downloaded your program recently and like it very much. I started trying to make a gamebox today and hope to have it done soon.
Hi, James.
You shouldn't start from scratch: copy the Jena 1806 game box and modify it.
Don't hesitate to post questions.
peabody

Post by peabody »

Finished my first gamebox a few minutes ago. I might want to tweak the graphics and add a few things but its playable as is. Kursk in Normandy : Operation Goodwind July 1944 by Perry Moore Games.

I took your advice and built it using the Lena set as a model. That worked out well. I've built sets using ADC2 and CB but your system is easier to build sets with by far IMHO. The way you can zoom the map in and out is my favorite feature. The controls are great too !
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Well done, Peabody! Thanks for the feedback.
Now don't let that game box sit around gathering dust on your hard disk! :wink:
Phaedrus4242

Post by Phaedrus4242 »

Jerome wrote:Now don't let that game box sit around gathering dust on your hard disk! :wink:
I'm confused Jerome. You mentioned in reply to my post that gameboxes could only be posted if we obtained the expressed consent of the copyright holder! I'd love to post my completed gamebox, but getting that consent just isn't going to happen. I have neither the time or inclination to track that down after 20+ years.

Obviously, this requirement is going to stunt the acceptance of your system if no gameboxes are available for download. Our gamebox tools (Cyberboard, VASSAL, etc.) have struggled with the question of copyrights and most (correct me if I'm wrong) have finally settled on letting people post gameboxes, but immediately pulling them if the copyright holder objects in any way. This policy seems to have become the norm after a few years of their experience. Could we learn from their lessons and start this way now?
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Sorry, I meant that James had to play that game box now. Oops. :oops:

I see your point with the copyright problem, especially when the copyright owner is difficult to identify. For the time being I'm not considering hosting game boxes without authorization on this web site. By the way if you visit the CyberBoard web site, you won't find any game boxes to download.
Phaedrus4242

Post by Phaedrus4242 »

Yes, I understand your stance on posting gameboxes. Worrying about copyrights and bandwidth costs is a hassle a developer doesn't need.

It is true that Cyberboard doesn't host the gameboxes. But there are a couple of sites that do host hundreds. We need to find SOMEPLACE to post these things! If the community is to thrive, it needs to see examples of other gameboxes to learn different creation techniques to make future ones better. I bet we'll (the community) will even surprise YOU with what can be done, if we're only given the chance to learn.
lclaudius

Post by lclaudius »

We need to find SOMEPLACE to post these things!
I can host the gameboxes at one of my sites.